Application hosting the software as a service solution
A hosted application is the SaaS (software as a service) solution which allows users to execute and run a software application entirely from the cloud on a returning subscription.
Hosted applications are hosted and powered generally from the remote cloud infrastructure and are accessed internationally through the Internet. They have same functionality as locally installed software but can be updated more easily.
Hosted applications are also sometimes known as Internet-based applications, online applications and Web applications and, although these terms often have a larger scope.
Technical view about Hosted Application
Hosted applications are along with the pioneer service model of cloud services, allowing users to accept a similar application functionality experience through their Web browsers as they would with desktop applications. Hosted applications are arranged easily compared to conventional software because they require no upfront installation and have least integration requirements. Because they are planed to be accessed through Web browsers and operating systems, they create a low risk of local system corruption.
Hosted applications are managed by the service provider. They are routinely updated and patched with the steady version. It is backed by continual technical and customer support.
Advantages of hosting application
1) Lower TCO – The main selling point for SaaS is lower costs. We do not have to buy any storage, backup systems, dedicated servers, worry about upgrades, security infrastructure and hire experienced thus expensive IT professional. SaaS software is a huge example of the huge impact the trend of outsourcing had on the way businesses are run.
2) Faster deployment – Some systems are very difficult to install. Configuring, Installing and deploying client software on the users PC are time consuming and expansive activities also require special technical skills.
3) Lower risks – As the primary costs of starting a hosted project are much lesser than those of locally installed software. In the case of a project failure, a decision to rollback or switch to different software is easier.
Disadvantages of hosting application
1) Security – This is perhaps the major concern regards the usage of a SaaS application. Our company’s most important and valuable information asset: prices, orders, customer and products are not protected behind our own firewall. If our hosting provider is hacked, our data is at risk.
2) Customization – Hosted system providers run different instances of different companies on a solitary installation which constructs customization somewhat more difficult.3) Internet connectivity dependence – when all our information and business processes are located outside of our network, Internet connectivity becomes essential. Business is down, if our link is down.