As you wondering for what Dedicated Servers are and whether you need these servers or not. Or you know already that you need dedicated servers, but you get stuck when it comes to choose a hosting. Here are some guidelines which may help you to make decision easy :
- Do you actually need a Dedicated Server: While renting a server space from host, you have basically two options : one is to rent a shared server space and second is to rent out a dedicated server. With shared hosting arrangement, your website shares a server space with the other more websites.
If you rent out a dedicated server, on the other hand, you will get an entire network connection and a server to yourself. Shared web servers are cheap to rent as compared to the dedicated servers. They need lower level of the technical skills because host does most of server admin.
This is the reason that why shared servers are best choice for entry level websites or small scale businesses whose websites are not having high traffic level. Shared server are cost effective option for small websites, they are not a good option for those websites which are having high traffic.
- Site Traffic Management and Server Response Time: Server response time on shared hosting depends on the things which are happening with other websites which are also hosted on the same server. Server response time will be affected by the service interruptions.
For an example, if website suddenly gets an unexpected high traffic. All these interruptions will get out of control on a shared server. With dedicated server, you will only be the person who can plan and manage traffic level or other events which may affect server.
- Software and Flexibility: With shared web server, you have limited access to operating system and software applications will be limited, which are being provided by web host. If you want to install and run your own customised and advanced ecommerce on database applications then definitely you need dedicated server.
- Scalability: When the traffic on website grows and applications becomes much more demanding, then you need to upgrade your web server. If you are using shared web server, then option for upgrading will be limited.
Your host will allow you to increase amount of the disk space which is available to your website. You can not upgrade software or platform applications, RAM processor and hard drive by yourself. When you using dedicated server, you can do all these things by yourself.
- Security: Information on shared web server is less secure as compared to the information secured on dedicated server. Dedicated server can be provided with firewall. If you are storing highly sensitive information on web server, then increase in security is obviously is on high priority.
- Data Transfer: Dedicated web server providers allow you to choose level of your data transfer, in gigabytes per month. You will be paying for this service, so you are not required to purchase more data transfer than realistically needed. This service can be increased as per requirement.